Sunday 26 July 2015

The Stray Birds - Best Medicine


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good album

This is a good album of well-constructed songs which are performed and produced with great skill.

I like the album a lot, but I do find it just a little bit similar to a lot of the very good Americana round at the moment. M Bowden writing on the Amazon page is right: "This acoustic group is just so tight and smooth, giving a really polished sound," and for me this and the incredibly slick production means that the album lacks just a little heart and genuineness of emotion. It's purely personal thing, because the musicianship is excellent, but sometimes it could do with just a bit of human rawness to bring it to life for me. You may well disagree, and no one with any interest in this genre could possibly dislike the album, but for me it's a one that I like rather than love.

No comments:

Post a Comment