Friday 24 July 2015

Red Sky July - Shadowbirds


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good album



This is a good album of well performed and well crafted songs.  It's a pleasingly varied selection, loosely categorizable as Americana but with elements of soft rock, alt.-country and folk in places.  It's quite hard to pin down, really – which I think is a good thing.  When I first heard the opening song, Lay Down Your Love, I thought "That sounds a bit like The Byrds…oh, and Trees…" and other bands as the track went on.  Then Here Then Gone's harmonies made me think of The Civil Wars…and so on.  Even Fleetwood Mac (in the Nicks/Buckingham incarnation) crossed my mind in places.

It's all good stuff.  They're very listenable songs with attractive melodies, very good harmonies and very good arrangements and production.  These three are fine musicians and they've produced a very decent album.  There is a lot of good alt.-country/Americana around at the moment and I'm not sure this stands out strongly from the crowd, but it's a good album and if you like this genre you'll like it for sure.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment