Friday 24 July 2015

The Honeycutters - Me Oh My


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A very enjoyable album

I like this album a lot. It was a bit of a random punt for me after hearing a couple of snippets, and it turns out to be very enjoyable. It's not going to change the course of music history or end up in a list of all-time greats, but it's very well done and I'm still enjoying it very much after repeat listenings.

The Honeycutters' music is in the area where Country and Americana merge, so there's plenty of pedal steel, Country harmonies and so on, but I wouldn't classify it as pure Country - but however you describe it, this is a set of well-crafted songs, very nicely performed and produced. They are varied in tone from the toe-tapping and smile-raising Ain't It The Truth to the wistful and lovely Carolina, or the beautiful closing track, A Life For You, for example. They're lyrically pretty good, too, with that crucial ability in songs like this to convey a scene or a state of mind in just a few lines. For example, this from Texas '81 a lovely, regretful song about the break-up of a long marriage:
"Don't let go yet,
Would you love me one more time
Before we raise the blinds and make the bed;
My little train wreck -
Your eyes are smiling but your cheeks are wet..."
It's not earth-shaking poetry, I know, but it's very decent songwriting and makes an emotional impact on me in context. What more can you ask, really?

If you like alt-Country or Americana, I'd suggest giving this a try. It won't change your life, but it will be an album to listen to and enjoy for some time, I thin

No comments:

Post a Comment