Thursday 9 July 2015

Pete Townshend - Truancy: The Very Best Of Pete Townshend


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A very good representative compilation

This is a very good representative compilation of some of Pete Townshend's solo work over the last 45 years or so.

I think Townshend is one of the finest composers and songwriters of the last half century. His melodic and harmonic ingenuity and innovations have been a constant inspiration and delight to me. I Can See For Miles set a monumental standard in 1967 with its Purcell-like harmonic progressions and he has built on that masterpiece since then with some truly enduring work which will stand with the greatest music of the late 20th Century, I think. His work with The Who has been my constant companion for half a century and has brought me immense pleasure.

That said, I have never felt that the standard of his solo work was quite that of the stuff he produced with The Who. It has the same musical complexity and intelligent, original lyrical content (sometimes even more of both), but for some reason it hasn't spoken to me in the same way and I respect it rather more than I like it. It could be that the superlative combination of those four massive talents in The Who brought out the best in Townshend's writing and in his performances. It may also be that, great musician and guitarist that he is, Pete isn't a great singer and the rather average vocals can't really convey the depth in this material. To be honest, I don't really know why it is, but for me this solo work just doesn't quite hit the spot.

All of this is a very personal reaction and please don't let me put you off. There's nothing wrong with any of it - far from it - and you may well disagree with my view. Certainly if you like Townshend's solo work, or you are looking for a place to start with it, this compilation will serve you very well and I can recommend it on that basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment