Tuesday 21 July 2015

Buffy Sainte-Marie - Power In The Blood


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A terrific album from a real force of nature

Some musicians are just an unstoppable elemental force. There aren't many, I think, but Buffy Sainte-Marie is one (Neil Young is another, but it's hard to think of too many more). It's not to do with her style of music or the quality of her musicianship - although Buffy is a very fine musician and songwriter - but the sheer, enduring, almost bulldozing power of the woman herself. It's admirable and often thrilling to experience, and this album is terrifically thrilling as well as being full of thoughtful songs and fine music.  From the opening of the brilliant reworking of It's My Way you know you're in for something special. It's powerful and absorbing, and it's also very enjoyable to listen to - it always leaves me with my spirits lifted and my head held a little higher.

I saw Buffy Sainte-Marie perform live from close range way back in 1971 and she was electrifying. Judging by this, she's even more electrifying now, getting on for half a century later. We have had some superb albums from veterans in the last two or three years - Leonard Cohen's Old Ideas, Richard Thompson's Electric, Robert Plant's Lullaby..., Springsteen's Wrecking Ball and others have all been outstandingly good - and this is up there with the best of them, I think. I think it's something quite special.

No comments:

Post a Comment