Tuesday 21 July 2015

Sarah Jarosz - Build Me Up From Bones


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good album

This is a really good album. I liked it on first hearing, then found myself playing it regularly and it has really grown on me from there. These are songs with real musical merit and lyrical substance and they will endure in a way that many songs don't, I think.

I find it a little hard to categorize the music (which is probably a good thing).
There is a fine variety of material from the punchy and slightly spiky, like the opener Over The Edge, to the truly beautiful like the genuinely affecting love song Gone Too Soon. Sarah Jarosz is a fine musician and a very good singer, so the songs are excellently performed. She has a very good band and an excellent sense of how to arrange her songs, and the production is very well-judged and varied so the album never sounds samey and every track sounds fresh.

I would warmly recommend this album to anyone who likes a good song, well arranged and performed. For me it stands out from much of the mass of quite good Americana-ish music around at the moment. I think Sarah Janosz is a class act and I'll definitely be looking out for her work in the future.

(After seeing her live at Bush Hall in 2014 I can confirm that she is very, very good indeed. Fine songs and brilliant musicianship - I really hope Sarah Jarosz meets with the success she deserves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment