Monday 27 July 2015

David Crosby - Live at The Matrix, December 1970


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Some decent music but poor sound quality



I have mixed feelings about this album.  It's good to have a record of David Crosby playing live in 1970 when (in my view anyway) he was still near the peak of his songwriting and performing powers.  Some of the music here is great and some isn't, to be honest – and the sound quality is pretty dreadful.

I think whether you like this or not will depend on how much you enjoy the sort of long, laid-back, drifting jams which permeate most of this album.  They're very good of their type (of course they are, it's effectively Crosby and The Grateful Dead);  it's the sort of thing I'd have played while talking with friends late at night in my room at university in the mid-70s, probably after a non-proprietary cigarette or two.  Nowadays I find a little of it goes quite a long way so although tracks like Laughing are well done, beautiful in places and quite evocative in their way, I'm not sure how much I'm actually going to play this in the future.

Part of the problem is the sound quality.  I don't know how this recording was made, but it wasn't overseen by a professional engineer (or no one who was any good, anyway).  The overall sound is very muddy and indistinct and the balance is all wrong.  The bass is incredibly loud and sharply defined, while the guitar work is much too far back and the vocals almost inaudibly faint at times.  It's really a bit of an insult to both artists and buyers to put out such a poor piece of sound recording as a normal CD.

David Crosby is responsible for some of my very favourite songs ever (including Guinevere and Wooden Ships from CS&N), I like most of his work very much and I was delighted to see him make a very decent album recently in Croz. I can't, in all conscience, give this more than 3 stars, though.  The music's OK and probably merits four stars, but the sound is so poor that overall it's a disappointment. Crosby fans like me will probably want to have this, but I can't really recommend it as an album.

No comments:

Post a Comment