Tuesday 28 July 2015

Putamayo Presents...Acoustic America


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A gem

I think this is a brilliant album. I tried it as a bit of a punt because it's the sort of thing I usually like and featured some real greats. It turned out to be a gem - fine songs in uniformly excellent performances.

My suggestion is that you listen to some samples: if you like what you hear, you won't be disappointed in the album. There's some really good singing in a variety of styles and fine bands who - thank heavens - aren't over-produced but just play very well and with real sincerity. There is also some genuinely great guitar work in places, for example from Brownie McGhee (of course!) and Doc Watson.

I am delighted with this album and if you have any interest at all in this genre I think you will be, too. Very warmly recommended.

Track List:

1. Luke Winslow King - You Don’t Know Better Than Me
2. Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee - I Was Born With the Blues
3. Jeffrey Foucault - Lodi
4. Forest Sun - Change My Tune
5. Buck Howdy - Shenandoah
6. Doc Watson - Sitting on Top of the World
7. Eden Brent - Goodnight Moon
8. Justin Rutledge - Year of Jubilo - (Canada)
9. Red Horse feat. Eliza Gilkyson, John Gorka and Lucy Kaplansky - Wayfaring Stranger
10. Guy Davis - Everything is Gonna Be Alright
11. The Jim Kweskin Band w/ Samoa Wilson - Some of These Days
12. Clay Cumbie - Here's to the Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment