Thursday 1 June 2017

Gene Clark - White Light


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Still a good album



This album has held up pretty well over the years.  It's not a classic, but there's some very good stuff on it.

I confess that Gene Clark's solo work passed me by at the time.  I loved The Byrds, but I lost track of Clark after he left, so I thought I'd go back and see what I'd missed.  White Light is a bit mixed, but it's still a very decent album.  Clark, of course, was a fine singer and also a very decent songwriter.  Some of this sounds pretty generically post-Woodstock, with some rather ordinary lyrics and familiar-sounding arrangements and chord sequences, but there at also some genuinely fine songs; With Tomorrow and For A Spanish Guitar, to give just a couple of examples, have real poignancy and some originality.

So...I'm glad I looked into this.  There's certainly enough quality on White Light to make it worthwhile and if you like that slightly mournful, occasionally slightly fey early 70s sound, you'll find a lot to like here.

No comments:

Post a Comment