Tuesday 27 June 2017

Blondie - Rapture in Toronto


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Decent but some reservations



Releases of live FM broadcasts are variable in quality, to say the least.  This one, consisting of two sets from Toronto in 1982 and LA in 1979, is a bit variable.

Blondie were still massive in 1982, although in my view a little past their peak.  Nonetheless they were still a fine band and a glance at the tracklist here will remind anyone who needs reminding that they made some truly great records.  For me, the LA set, recorded in 1979 is the better of the two; it's tighter, more edgy and aggressive while the 1982 Toronto set is more of a big production which doesn't come over so well in this recording.

The sound quality is decent but it's not brilliant.  There's not much hiss, which is a relief, but the balance isn't always great and it has a rather mushy, woolly – especially in Toronto.  I also have to say that Debbie's intonation isn't as secure as it might be in the Toronto set.  This really surprised me because she's a fine singer, but there are moments in The Tide Is High, Heart Of Glass and some others which have me wincing a little.  In LA, where she's largely giving it a full-on New Wave blast, she sounds terrific.

For me, the Toronto set is a three-star affair and LA four-stars.  I've rounded up to four stars overall, and this is probably worth getting to have a record of a legendary band at the height of their fame, but I do have some reservations about some of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment