Wednesday 7 June 2017

Jade Jackson - Gilded


Rating: 4/5

Review:
An impressive debut



I like this album.  I took a punt on it after hearing a couple of samples and I'm glad I discovered did.

Jade Jackson's style is a sort of rockier, country-tinged Americana which she does very well.  She has a good, slightly strangled, breathy voice which she uses very effectively, often sounding a little like Eliza Gylkison or Lucinda Williams.   Her band is tight and responds very well to her and to the material, so the overall effect is very pleasing.

Jackson's songs are good with a couple of real gems, most notably for me the outstanding Bridges.  I did find that some of the album got a little bit samey, with a minor-key, twangy sound which could have done with a little more variation, but individually they're good songs which are lyrically intelligent and musically interesting.

This isn't a great album but it's a pretty good one – and as a debut I think it's impressive.  I can recommend Gilded and I'll be looking out for more of jade Jackson's work in the future: I think she has real potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment