Friday 16 June 2017

Leonard Cohen - Massey Hall, Toronto, 1988 (FM Broadcast)


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Very good performance, adequate sound quality



I keep swearing that I will give up these Leonard Cohen FM broadcasts because there are so many being released, probably to cash in on his death…and then I just keep getting one more.  This is a good one from 1988.

The performances are, of course, very good.  Cohen himself is in fine voice and his band play and sing very well.  There's a lot of material from I'm Your Man, which suites me just fine and I like the versions here; they're generally a little quicker than the album originals but they still work well.  And, of course, there's a good smattering of other fine songs.  The balance is pretty good and overall it's a good live performance.

The issue with all these old FM broadcasts is the sound quality.  It's not bad on this album.  There are some moments when the treble sounds unpleasantly harsh - almost to the point of distortion - and there is audible FM hiss throughout, but none of this is bad enough to spoil my enjoyment.  If you want a record of the Great man performing in the late '80s, this will serve you well, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment