Monday 22 June 2015

Tracey Thorn - Songs from The Falling



5/5
Review

Truly beautiful 

I love this little EP. I really wasn't expecting much, but it took me completely by surprise: it's utterly lovely and very haunting, although it's hard to say exactly why.

Looked at objectively it sounds unpromising: eight short tracks lasting about 17 minutes in total, mostly with extremely simple chordal backing on either solo guitar or piano and with odd, minimal lyrics. Are You There, for example, is well under 2 minutes long and its lyrics are just "Girl, are you there?" repeated a few times.

And yet, it's absolutely lovely. Tracey Thorn sings beautifully and her wonderful voice is very well produced and sometimes multi-tracked to give a haunting, atmospheric effect, perfectly offset by the minimal instrumentation and simple but beautiful accompaniment. The whole thing is just...well, lovely. I know I keep using the word, but it's the only one I can find which really fits. It has haunted me since I first played it and I keep going back to it with undiminished pleasure.

I'd suggest that you try a few samples and if you like them, don't hesitate. I think this is a miniature, truly memorable gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment