Saturday 27 June 2015

Honeyhoney - 3


Rating: 5/5

Review:

A good album


This is the first Honeyhoney I've heard and I am impressed.  It's an album of good, well-crafted songs, very well performed and produced. 

Honeyhoney put me in mind slightly of The Civil Wars with their very good harmony singing and often rather mournful songs – although they don't have quite The Civil Wars' agonized intensity.  The vocal work is excellent and the instrumental playing is just as good, I think, with a variety of instruments and a fine backing section.  The songs are fairly varied in style from quiet, contemplative slow numbers to pretty rocky settings and the whole album has a air of class over it, I think.

Perhaps a little more variation in tone might have been welcome because it's all pretty minor-key dominated and downbeat so as a whole album it gets just a little hard going for me, but individual songs are great and listening to a few at a time means they really shine.

This is a welcome find for me, and I can recommend it – it's a quality album.

No comments:

Post a Comment