Sunday 21 June 2015

Roger Daltrey - Daltrey




4/5
Review:

Still a good album

Over forty years on, I still have a great affection for this album.

It's Daltrey in a very non-Who mode, singing songs mainly by Leo Sayer. When the album was first released, Sayer's own recording career hadn't taken off, which meant that Daltrey got some very fine songs which, I suspect, Sayer would have kept for himself if he'd had a contract. They are typical Sayer - musically intelligent, melodically rather beautiful, often yearning and often about the bruising experiences of a young heart. I love them, and certainly tracks like Giving It All Away and Thinking spoke to my bruised and yearning young heart at the time.

No doubt this affects my judgement in <ahem> maturity, but I think the album stands up pretty well on its own merits. Daltrey sings very well with sincerity and genuine feeling, the material is good and the production is well judged to bring out the best of both singer and songs. It's not a seminal classic by any means, but it's a good album with some fine and genuinely affecting songs on it. It's still well worth a try, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment