Monday 22 June 2015

Brandy Clark - 12 Stories



5/5
Review

A very good album

I tried this album on spec. because I loved Brandy Clark's song Follow Your Arrow on Kacey Musgraves' album Same Trailer, Different Park. I was prepared for it not to be very good because quite a lot of people have written one or two good songs and a lot of mediocre stuff, but I was very pleasantly surprised. This is a collection of varied, enjoyable and very well-crafted country songs which tell their stories with humour, insight and genuine pathos at times.

Brandy Clark writes good straightforward tunes and sings them well. They are very well arranged and produced here, with a fine band and just the right degree of arrangement to let each one shine in its own way. Her lyrics are very good indeed, with songs like Take A Little Pill making good, serious points about addiction and Stripes genuinely makes me tap my foot and smile (although I'd recommend that you avoid the video, which manages to drain all the dry wit from the song).

This album was a really enjoyable discovery for me. I think Brandy Clark is a genuinely talented and entertaining singer/songwriter with a rare gift for insight and wit expressed in really enjoyable melodies. I'll definitely be looking out for her future work, and recommend this very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment