Sunday 21 June 2015

Roseanne Cash - The River and the Thread



5/5
Review:

A really good album

I think this is a really good album. I liked it on first hearing but thought that there wasn't much to distinguish it from a lot of other pretty good stuff around at the moment. I was wrong. I've listened to it a lot since then and I think it has real quality. The songs are tuneful but harmonically quite original in places, and the lyrics have genuine meaning - it's certainly a lot more than just three chords and the truth. I also think the performances are excellent with lovely singing and a fine band. They are set off by really good arrangements and production: not too rich and glossy but perfectly judged to give the songs depth and atmosphere without submerging them in too much extraneous stuff.

I think this is an album which I will be playing for a long, long time. Warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment