Wednesday 24 June 2015

Madisen Ward and the Mama Bear - Skeleton Crew



Rating: 5/5

Review:
A quietly brilliant gem

This is a great album, and I can't quite put my finger on why. There's no spectacular guitar work, the songs aren't startlingly original and it's mainly pretty stripped-down in feel. And yet these two just get it bang on, somehow. The two, largely strummed, guitars go together perfectly, as do Madisen's excellent vocal work and his Mama's beautifully judged support singing. I think it's to do with songs that are of simple things and come right from the heart, and that these two are actually very fine musicians who do unostentatious but very musical things very well indeed.

There's still something indefinable to me about what makes this so good, but I absolutely love it. There's plenty of great smile-along, foot-tapping stuff in Silent Movies or Yellow Taxi, for example, but also more profound songs - and the two which close the album, Down In Mississippi and Sorrows and Woes have some serious things to say and are beautiful and genuinely moving, I think. The whole album is sincere, genuine and full of quiet, unshowy class. I can recommend this very warmly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment