Tuesday 31 May 2016

Hot Club of Cowtown - Rendezvous in Rhythm


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Good, not great

I like this disc - it's an enjoyable reworking of jazz standards in the style of Reinhardt and Grapelli with a slight country tang. It is good but I can't quite share the unbridled enthusiasm of some other reviewers.

The three musicians play very well and almost capture that wonderful Quintette du Hot Club de France sound and flavour - almost but not quite. Somehow the real soul and magnificent, can't-sit-still swing isn't quite there, and although there's plenty to like in the playing I couldn't quite love it. I also found the vocals rather flat (emotionally, not musically) throughout which didn't help.

It is harsh to compare anyone to Reinhardt and Grapelli who were both genuine geniuses and I don't mean to be too critical, but if you're playing in this style the comparison is inevitable. It's a likeable CD, but to be honest its main effect for me was to make me go and get my Reinhardt and Grapelli recordings out and listen to them again. Plainly others have loved this and I wouldn't want to put anyone off. This is a good disc by three fine musicians - it just didn't quite do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment