Saturday 28 May 2016

Jack Day - The First Ten


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A good debut

I like this album, although for me this is an album which shows great promise rather than a great album in itself.

Jack Day is a good performer. There is some very nice guitar work here and his voice has an alluring roughness and world-weariness which he uses well. I am less keen on the piano playing which is pretty ordinary and which to my ears doesn't work so well with this material, but it does provide some welcome variety of tone.

It is the slight sameness of tone in the sound and the material which gives me my reservations about this album. I like the feel of it - it reminds me in places of early Michael Chapman (which is high praise) and of Donovan in others - and there are some enjoyable and rather haunting songs here, but this feels to me very much like a debut album and I think Jack Day needs to bring a little more variety and depth to his songwriting if he is to develop into more than a good folk-circuit performer. I suspect he may well do this, and he's one to watch, I think.

This isn't a great album but it's well worth checking out if you like guitarist-singer-songwriters with a sort of late-60s feel and but some slightly more modern sounding production. I'm glad I have heard this album and I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for Jack Day's work in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment