Wednesday 18 May 2016

Kim Richey - Thorn In My Heart


Rating: 4/5

Review: 
Good, but not great

This is a good Country album by a fine singer and a good band. For me, though, it lacks anything really special to mark it out from the crowd of good Country/Americana stuff around at the moment.

Kim Richey has a lovely voice and puts a song over very well. Her band gives her more than solid support and the effect is very pleasing. However, none of these twelve songs really grabs me as something to keep and play for years to come. The title track is enjoyable enough, both Break Away Speed and Angel's Share have a singable, haunting quality to them and No Means Yes is a good Country waltz tune (although I'm not at all sure that that "no means yes" is a good thing for a woman to be singing), but none of it really stands out. I think that other albums from the same time, like Kacey Musgraves's Same Trailer Different Park and Amy Speace's How To Sleep In Stormy Boat for example, show in their different ways what really excellent songwriting is, and this Kim Richey album isn't in the same class for me.

I don't want to be too critical; this is a perfectly decent album of nice songs, well played and very well sung. You may like it much better than I did, of course, and I'd suggest listening to some samples to see whether it is more to your taste than mine, but I can only give this album a qualified recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment