Thursday 19 May 2016

Kara Grainger - Shiver & Sigh


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A cracking blues album

I stumbled across this album by accident almost and I'm very glad I did - it's an absolutely cracking blues album.

Kara Grainger is a new artist to me, and I'm really impressed. She is a fine guitarist and singer and can really put a song across. There's a variety of styles here but it's all basically blues with a solid, slightly laid-back beat. The band are great - tight and right on the money in every song. She has her own style but you can hear influences from all over the blues canon ( Tony Joe White in Little Pack Of Lies and the spirit of JJ Cale in I'm Not Ready, for example) and there are even hints of funk in places.

My advice is to listen to a few samples. Personally, I was hooked a few bars into the first track and I suspect that a lot of others will be, too. This has been a really good discovery for me, and I'll be looking out for Kara Grainger's work in the future. Warmly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment