Monday 9 May 2016

American Classics (Rhino, 2016)


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A wonderfully haphazard collection



Frankly, you can't go wrong with this compilation.  I mean – just look at the track list (below).  Perhaps not everything here deserves the epithet "classic" but it's an astonishingly eclectic selection of great songs, many of which are true classics by anyone's definition. 

In a way this is an outrageously random selection – the sort of mish-mash I might get if I put my mp3 player on "shuffle" – but I love the idea of a sequence like Joe Walsh's Life's Been Good, followed by the amazing Werewolves Of London by Warren Zevon and then Wake Up Little Suzy (by the Everlys, which you already knew, of course, or you probably wouldn’t even be looking at this collection.)  There are plenty more strange but very pleasing juxtapositions; for example, the whole thing closes with Lobo's facile and disposable (but strangely lovable) Me And You And A Dog Named Boo followed by Ry Cooder's sublime version of Little Sister from the superb Bop Till You Drop album.  I love it's unjudgemental joy in the music.

The transfers by Rhino seem very good and the songs are the originals and not some slightly-less good re-recordings you get in some compilations.  I've already got a lot of what's on here but it's still worth it at this price for the things I didn't have (how good to hear Harry Chapin again, for example) and for the sheer pleasure of just playing an amazing sequence of great stuff.  Warmly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment