Monday 3 August 2015

Tony Joe White - Hoodoo


Rating: 5/5

A bit of real class

I should declare an interest here: I am an absolute sucker for the kind of laid-back but solid bluesy sound Tony Joe White produces on this album. Even allowing for that, though, this is first-rate stuff. It is Delta Blues with a little boogie thrown in occasionally.

Tony Joe's guitar and voice have matured to a point where he has the confidence not to push anything too hard and just let it flow out without strain. The band are brilliant - robust but unforced and with a real solid beat, so the combination of them and Tony Joe is just brilliant.

I'd suggest that you listen to a few samples. I bet you'll love them if you have any interest at all in blues. This is a bit of real class and I recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment