Tuesday 4 August 2015

Roy Harper - Man & Myth


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Hats off... 

This is a really good album. I've admired Roy Harper ever since I was about 16 years old and spent hours sitting next to the record player with my guitar, lifting the needle on and off Flat Baroque And Berserk while learning Baby Don't You Grieve and others. I've not always liked what he has done since (including seeing him live where he could scarcely sit up, let alone perform), but when he's on form the man's a fantastic songwriter, composer and performer and he's really on form here.

These are classic Roy Harper songs: great chord structures, fine melodies and intelligent, thoughtful lyrics. The songs are honest, poetic and remarkably insightful in their typically Harperish sidelong, allusive way. He sings and plays with all the old finesse and passion, and he's gathered a terrific band around him (including the likes of Pete Townshend). The result is a sequence of riveting songs, excellently played and produced and reflecting on a very rich and varied life. Time Is Temporary really speaks to me especially and the epic, Greek-myth-tinged Heaven Is Here is quite outstanding, but I think every single track is very good and some are real Roy Harper classics - which is saying a lot.

I've not enjoyed a Roy Harper album as much as this since Stormcock, which I regard as a true classic. Very warmly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment