Wednesday 19 August 2015

Patsy Matheson - Domino Girls


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent album

I am ashamed to say that I've only just come across Patsy Matheson - but better late than never. I am very impressed with this album, the first of hers that I have tried. She writes very tuneful and harmonically interesting songs with intelligent and witty lyrics and sings them with a lovely, slightly breathy voice. Several tell a very good story, too. The production is excellent - full enough to bring each song to life, but never swamping the fine acoustic guitar work and never straying into insincere gloss. It's a pleasure to listen to from start to finish.

Patsy Matheson is very much her own woman, but I found echoes of people like Thea Gilmore, Kris Delmhost and Eliza Carthy in places here. This is high praise indeed, and I'll be looking into her other albums very soon. I'm delighted that I've discovered this album and recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment