Tuesday 11 August 2015

The Waterboys - Modern Blues


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good album

I have a rather shameful confession to make: until now, my knowledge of The Waterboys extended no further than The Whole Of the Moon, which I loved. I can't explain why they have passed me by but they have, so I have come to this album with no real knowledge about their history, just an open mind to the music and lyrics...and I think they're excellent.

This is an album of lyrically interesting, original and sometimes quirky songs. This from November Song gives a flavour:
"We walked along a while like we were old companions
But I could feel the gulf between us yawning like a canyon,
Her with her turgid(?) coat, her extravagant beliefs
Me a creature of the road, a child of dust and grief..."

Good stuff, I think and it's all set to very singable tunes and extremely well arranged and produced. The result is a very satisfying sequence of first-rate pop music with some genuine depth to it in places. The singing is passionate and the band is terrific - tight and sensitive, but with a great driving energy when needed. I was reminded in different places of Van Morrison (just listen to the start of November Tale), Mark Knopfler and Lloyd Cole - all very fine songwriters and musicians - but this is its own album and has its own distinctive feel.

I was surprised by how much I liked Modern Blues, and if you enjoy really good, melodic songs with a rocky feel which are excellently performed and produced, you'll like this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment