Monday 10 August 2015

Martin Simpson - Vagrant Stanzas


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent album



I don't know how this is possible for an old folkie and guitarist (albeit a pretty rubbish one) but I have managed to miss out on Martin Simpson's work until I came across the superb Murmurs with Andy Cutting and Nancy Kerr.  I'm delighted to have discovered him now – however late – and to be able to say how very good this is.

Martin Simpson is a fabulous guitarist.  His fingerstyle shows amazing technique and skill, but it all sounds as easy and as natural as breathing so you're often unaware of just how skilful it really is.  He has a lovely touch and the guitar work as a whole is just a joy.  He doesn't have the greatest of natural voices but uses it perfectly, so that it's evocative and speaks directly to you; it's really good singing, I think.

As well as the top-class musicianship, I think what also stands out in this collection of covers and traditional songs from the UK and USA is Simpson's sincerity and humanity.  Sometimes it's in the words, sometimes just in the performance and delivery, but there's an engagement and unforced from-the-heart quality here which is very engaging and genuinely affecting at times.

In short, this is a really top-notch album.  I suspect people reading this will already know Martin Simpson's work and won't need any encouragement from me, but for what it's worth I can recommend this very warmly indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment