Sunday 5 June 2016

The Henry Girls - December Moon


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Can't be wounded 'cos...

I'm afraid this won't be a popular view, but I'm not that keen on this album. It's pleasant-sounding and decently performed and produced but I got tired of it fairly quickly, probably because I don't think there's much to it besides a nice sound.

I like the idea of a mix of genres, The Henry Girls can certainly sing and generate good, rich harmonies and I'll listen to anything which features a cover of Elvis Costello's great Watching The Detectives (which is why I tried this). However, for all its eclectic mix and the odd adventurous choice of song, what we end up with is rather a bland pop album with an amiable overall effect but - a bit like the character in Watching The Detectives who can't be wounded - it's got little in the way of real heart.

I'm sorry to be critical, but for all its pleasant surface, I don't think this adds up to all that much musically and I can only give it a lukewarm recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment