Monday 6 June 2016

Cat's Eyes - Treasure House


Rating 4/5

Review:
An enjoyable album



This is rather a good album, I think.  It was a random punt for me, but I was interested by talk of classical training and unusual instrumentation.  A few samples persuaded me to try it, and I'm glad I did.  It's very enjoyable, with good tunes, fine arrangements and production and both a modern and retro feel.

These are tuneful, often lyrically interesting songs which, while they have a sound of their own, keep reminding me of the music of my teens and twenties.  I detected shades of Roy Harper, The Crystals, Al Stewart, Bananarama, Pink Floyd and plenty of others in various places – with the spirit of Bach in the background at times.  There's often a slightly quirky lyrical feel.  I like this, for example:
"Be careful where you park your car
There's no telling what she will do
'Cos she never had the chance to hurt you too.
And if you're asking why
You looked a little too pleased when you saw her cry…"

Set to an almost Iko Iko-like beat and with a sort of Shirelles vocal sound, it just sounds great and raises a smile every time with me.

With rich modern production, interesting instrumental arrangements and good vocals, this album makes a very pleasing listen.  I'd suggest listening to a few samples as I did and if you like what you hear, give it a go.  It's probably not a classic - very few albums are – but it's a good piece of work with enjoyable, varied and well-crafted songs and I can recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment