Saturday 11 June 2016

Mary Gauthier - The Foundling Alone


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Another excellent, intimate works from Mary Gauthier

This is a stripped-down, acoustic version of Mary Gauthier's album The Foundling. I thought The Foundling was brilliant and I like this one very much, too. If you haven't yet heard the original, I would suggest that you try The Foundling first. If you have and you liked it, then this may well be for you.

The songs are a raw story of Mary Gauthier's life having been given up for adoption as a baby. Many of these work exceptionally well as solo works with just her and her guitar, as one might expect from such intimate personal material. Oddly, the two central (and in my view most moving) songs on the disc, Blood Is Blood and March 11, 1962 don't have quite the impact of the originals for me, but the overall, cumulative effect of this album is exceptionally emotional and moving.

It seems that a lot of people didn't share my enthusiasm for The Foundling, and if you are one of them then I doubt whether you'll like this either. However, if you loved The Foundling as much as I did then I suspect you'll love this raw, intimate and musically excellent album.

No comments:

Post a Comment