Friday 11 September 2015

Willa Mamet & Paul Miller - Let Somebody Love You


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Not a great album



This album has its merits, but I have reservations about it.

Willa Mamet has a nice voice and Paul Miller is a very decent guitarist; they have taken a variety of songs and made what are generally very pleasant recordings of them.  They have no accompaniment other than Miller's guitar, so it's a very intimate, relaxed feel with some good harmonies and some very nice guitar work on some songs like Wichita, for example.  As an album, though, this has some pretty sever limitations.  For example, if I'd heard their version of The Eagles' Desperado in a club I'd have thought it was a pretty good adaptation and enjoyed it, but I'm not sure it's worth repeated listening and the same is true of much of this record.

More seriously, they have changed the tune in Dimming Of the Day.  I think this is one of the most beautiful songs of the last 40 years or so; the original Richard and Linda Thompson recording is magnificent and Alison Krauss's cover is very good, too, so it can be done well by others.  However, I find it hard to forgive the desecration of such a lovely tune by changing it, presumably because Willa Mamet can't quite reach the high notes they've altered.  You don't do that to a great song: as anyone who has performed at whatever level should know, if you can't sing a song well, then don't sing it.  It's a shame, but there it is; you just have to find songs you can sing.  I'm sorry to be harsh, but what they have done here is just wrong.

Apart from Dimming Of The Day, there's nothing wrong with this album but it's a bit ordinary to my ears.  Others may enjoy it more than I do, but I can only give it a rather lukewarm recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment