Saturday 12 September 2015

Future Islands - Singles


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A first-rate album

I agree with the chorus of praise for this album.  I hadn't heard Future Islands before seeing them on the Jools Holland programme. I thought they were excellent and risked the album; I wasn't disappointed.

The music is great - it took me back to the early 80s with strong echoes of Vince Clarke, Steve Strange, New Order and any number of other bands in the arrangements in various places (I thought there were hints of The National, too). What really makes this special, though, is their excellently named frontman Samuel T. Herring. He manages to look like a slightly overweight nerd from the accounts department while also delivering fantastically emotional, powerful vocals and producing his own unique dance moves. It's a great combination and this is a first-rate album in my view.

My advice is to listen to a few samples. If you like them don't hesitate - this is an album of real quality from start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment