Friday 18 September 2015

Dave Edmunds - Original Album Series


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A brilliant box



This is a simply brilliant 5-CD box.  The five albums in it are: 
Love Scuplture - Forms & Feelings (1970)
Dave Edmunds - Get It (1977)
Dave Edmunds - Tracks On Wax 4 (1978)
Dave Edmunds - Repeat When Necessary (1979) and 
Dave Edmunds - Twangin'... (1981)

I have owned and loved these four Dave Edmunds "solo" LPs on vinyl since they came out, so I'm delighted to have them so cheaply on CD as well, and the Love Sculpture album is a very welcome bonus.

I doubt whether anyone looking at this page needs me to describe or review in detail Dave Edmunds' music from this era because you'll know him well.  It's really brilliantly played Rock & Roll-dominated rock music which sounds deceptively simple but is superbly controlled and played with that restrained edge and precision which gives it real bite.  Edmunds is a fine guitarist and singer and the band are excellent: the core of Billy Bremner, Nick Lowe and Terry Williams are tight and have a fantastic driving beat.  There are also some great guest appearances – most notably for me Albert Lee's sensational guitar on Sweet Little Lisa.

I won't go on.  Classics like I Knew The Bride, Girls Talk, Crawling From The Wreckage (incorrectly titled on this page, by the way) and others speak for themselves, and there's a wealth of hugely enjoyable music here.  My advice is just to snap this up – it's a cracking set which I can recommend very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment