Friday 18 September 2015

Rickie Lee Jones - The Other Side Of Desire


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A fine album



I really like this album.  I confess that I haven't really been aware of Rickie Lee Jones since enjoying Chuck E's In Love very much, so it's been a long gap, but I'm very glad to make her acquaintance again.

This is a varied and in places rather quirky album with some great stuff on it.  The variety of just the first four tracks gives an idea of what to expect:  Jimmy Choo is a great, smooth, jazzy song with some very distinctive vocal work; Valtz de Mon Pere is a lovely New Orleans-tinged love song; J'ai Connais Pas sounds like a really good Fats Domino song (and the backing certainly owes more than a little to Blueberry Hill); Blinded By The Hunt is a soulful, bluesy and very affecting song which puts me rather in mind of Randy Crawford…and so on.  I don't like everything here, but everyone will have their own favourites and it's a matter of taste rather than musical quality, which is excellent throughout.

Rickie Lee Jones is a great singer.  She has been around long enough now to be able to put a song over with real skill and meaning even though her voice really isn't what it was - she sounds a bit like an eight-year-old with a cold on I Wasn't Here, for example.  However, she varies the quality of her voice excellently (I get echoes of Bjork, Marianne Faithfull and others in various places) and the effect is often just great; For example, I find her sometimes cracked, trembling quality on Christmas in New Orleans very affecting.  It's an object lesson in performance, I think and the result is really special in parts of this album.

I have given it five stars because of this, even if there are some weaker moments (to me, anyway): the majority is very good indeed and some is really great.  It's a fine album overall and warmly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment