Thursday 24 October 2019

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Colorado


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Another substandard album from Neil

I’m afraid Colorado isn’t very good. It’s not as bad as The Monsanto Years, but that’s really not saying much.

Frankly, I only tried this because Neil was back with Crazy Horse. They’re good, of course, but the material really isn’t up to much, with disjointed, unfocussed lyrics, very little in the way of melody and too much directionless, tedious noodling. Neil’s singing isn’t great these days, and there’s a sense of him just blurting out thoughts a lot of the time – a lot of them about environmental issues, of course – rather than crafting a song and performing it with skill and care, which is what used to make him so great.

Colorado does have its moments – Olden Days is a good, touching song in places for instance – and it’s at least recorded in a way which makes it bearable to listen to (A Letter Home, anyone?), but overall it’s the sort of rather rambling mess that has characterised Neil’s recent albums. After half a century of loving him, I keep thinking that this is my last Neil Young album and then trying just one more, in the hope of a flash of the old genius, I guess. Well, it’s not in evidence here, I’m afraid, and even as a long-term fan I can’t recommend Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment