Monday 21 October 2019

Lucy Kaplansky - Over The Hills


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A little gem

I think this is a cracking album. I was only dimly aware of Lucy Kaplansky through her work with Eliza Gilkyson but I heard Manhattan Moon on a Putamayo compilation, loved it and took a punt on this album. I’m very glad I did.

Lucy Kaplansky has a lovely voice and can really bring a song to life. Her own material is good, and often excellent, with good tunes, intelligent lyrics and fine production which does the material real justice. She has also recorded a handful of covers here, all of which are good, and her version of Roxy Music’s More Than This is just wonderful, I think. It’s a prime example of how to do a worthwhile cover version, bringing a wholly new take on the song while preserving its original quality and making a great track in your own right.

I’m delighted to have discovered Lucy Kaplansky’s work and I’ll be looking into more of her albums. In the meantime, I can recommend this very warmly; it’s a little gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment