Wednesday 16 October 2019

Danny Kortchmar - Kootch


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Disappointing

I’m a huge admirer of Danny Kortchmar’s work with people like Carole King, James Taylor and all those others, but I’m afraid that this is another of those albums which show that a lot of brilliant sidemen (and women) don’t make great solo artists in their own right.

There’s no doubting Kootch’s brilliance as a guitarist and the whole thing is very competently performed and produced, but the material is pretty ordinary and as an album it’s no more than OK. Some other reviewers plainly think it’s terrific, but it really doesn’t do much for me and the overall effect is rather generic and a bit dated – and not in a good way. I might have quite liked it in 1973, but I can’t say it’s aged well.

You may like this more than I do, but personally I can’t really recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment