Wednesday 14 November 2018

Stefan Grossman - The Ragtime Cowboy Jew


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Patchy but still good

Ragtime Cowboy Jew was originally a double album and I’m afraid one of the oldest of clichés applies to it: it would have made a great single album. For me, anyway, the instrumentals on here (roughly half the tracks) are classic Stefan Grossman; they are skilful, entertaining and a pleasure to listen to. The songs, not so much. In general, the guitar work on them is far less interesting, they’re not terribly good songs and Grossman’s voice was never that great.

Of course, you may not agree with me and you may like the vocal tracks, too. Even of you do agree that they’re not very good, I think the CD is still well worth having because the good stuff is really good and it’s simple to skip the tracks you don’t like. The digital transfer isn’t the greatest, but it’s perfectly adequate and I can still recommend this, even with my reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment