Tuesday 18 July 2017

Mellow Candle - Swaddling Songs


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A very good album



Although I can't quite agree with the rave 5-star reviews from most people, I do think this is a very good album.  Mark Barry steered me toward it in his excellent Overlooked Albums book, and I'm grateful to him – as I am for a lot of other really good tips.

Mellow Candle's sound seems to me to lie somewhere between Pentangle and Trees. One of the singers – I don't know whether it's Clodagh Simonds or Alison Williams, I'm afraid – sounds uncannily like Jacqui McShee at times, while at others their harmonising is very reminiscent of the double-tracked Celia Humphris, and the material is often quite Trees-like or Pentaglish.  That's just fine with me, and while I don't think Mellow Candle were as good as either, they're well above the average slighlty-rocky-folky-harmony group of the time.

A very decent album, then, and well worth the attention of anyone interested in this genre.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment