Tuesday 25 July 2017

Leon Redbone - Champagne Charlie


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Terrific stuff



This is just terrific.  I hadn't come across Leon Redbone before; this is another suggestion by Mark Barry, and another one I'm very grateful for.

Leon Redbone sings a variety of largely 20s and 30s songs.  He has a lovely, laid-back delivery with quite brilliant timing and phrasing, and some superb, varied arrangements.  He doesn't take himself too seriously but he has real affection and respect for the music, so that songs like the title track juts make me smile with sheer pleasure but things like Yearning or T.B. Blues have genuine pathos.  It's exemplary stuff,  think.

I cannot recommend this too highly.  I'm wondering where Leon Redbone has been all my life and will definitely be looking into more of his work.  My advice is to listen to some samples ad if you like what you here, don't hesitate.  This is a hugely enjoyable bit of genuine class

No comments:

Post a Comment