Friday 28 July 2017

Barbara Keith - Barbara Keith (1971, second album)


Rating: 4/5

Review:
A surprisingly good album



I missed Barbara Keith completely firat time around and  only came across her relatively recently.  She made a couple of albums, both very helpfully entitled "Barbara Keith", in 1969 and 1971 respectively.  This is the second from 1971.

I tried this on spec, half expecting it to be pretty terrible, to be honest, but it isn't – it's good.  It's a bit like Carole King in places, a bit like Laura Nyro in others but with its own personality.   Barbara Keith isn't in the same league as those two giants, but she could write a good song, she performs well and the arrangements and band are very good.  Overall, this is a very decent effort, I think, with some enjoyable songs and a good variety, and it's one which I will be going back to. 

I'm going to try to look out Barbara Keith's first album as well – although that looks harder to find.  In the meantime, I can recommend this; it's a surprisingly good example of early 70s singer-songwriting, and well worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment