Sunday 23 July 2017

John Fahey - Fare Forward Voyagers


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Not one of John Fahey's best



I know that it's near-blasphemy to say this, but I don't think this is a very good John Fahey album.  The playing is superb – it's John Fahey, so of course it is – but musically it's a bit dull.

Fare Forward Voyagers consists of three long, freely-structured tracks which, according to some commentators, are influenced by Indian ragas.  This is plausible considering Fahey's personal involvements at the time, but to me it doesn't have anything like the appeal of a good raga.  The music here doesn't make for consistently interesting listening; it has its moments, for sure, but there is also an awful lot of what sounds to me like aimless, meandering and, frankly, pretty tedious noodling.  Fahey's  genius as a guitarist and intelligence as a musician, which are so obvious in earlier albums with more structured and thoughtfully developed pieces, both get rather lost in the indeterminate haze here.

I can imagine hearing this back in 1973 when it came out in late-night student rooms while smoking non-proprietary cigarettes, but as an enduring work it's not a patch on albums like The Dance Of Death, Days Have Gone By and others.  Only a lukewarm recommendation from me, I'm afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment