Saturday 23 November 2019

Helene Cronin - Old Ghosts and Lost Causes


Rating: 5/5

Review:
A very good album

Old Ghosts and Lost Causes is a very good album. We are exceptionally blessed with some excellent singer-songwriters at the moment and Helene Cronin has produced an album which stands up very well among them.

Cronin’s songs are often very personal and revelatory, but never become self-indulgent. Her lyrics are thoughtful and intelligent, and I often find them rather touching; in God Doesn’t, for example, even though I don’t have a belief I found myself moved by the words. There is a good variety of style from quiet heartbreak in Riding The Grey Line to punchy anger in Mean Bone and Cronin sings them all very well. She has a good voice which she uses very well, and the band and production are excellent.

This is, in short, a classy album. I’m extremely glad I tried it and I’ll be looking out for more of Helene Cronin’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment