Saturday 30 November 2019

Come On Up To The House - Women Sing Waits


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Outstandingly good

I think this is an outstandingly good album. I know this is sacrilege to many people, but I struggle with Tom Waits; he’s a fantastic songwriter but that I’m-about-to-throw-up-and-then-I’ll-probably-kill-you delivery gets a bit much for me. Here we have some of the finest female Americana/country singers really giving his songs meaning and pathos.

A couple of favourites are Rosanne Cash’s performance of Time, which is quite magical and Ruby’s Arms by the great Patty Griffin, which is spellbinding and heartbreaking. I don’t think there’s a weak track on the album; everything is superbly performed and excellently, sensitively produced. My advice is to listen to a few samples and then snap it up. It’s an album of great songs, performed wonderfully – what more could you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment