Sunday 17 February 2019

J.S. Ondara - Tales Of America


Rating: 5/5

Review:
An excellent debut

This is really good. I tried it because J.S. Ondara has an interesting backstory of immigration from Kenya to the USA, but it turns out to be rather special, I think.

Ondara has a beautiful, slightly breathy tenor voice which sometimes moves to falsetto and he writes very good, straightforward songs with thoughtful, intelligent lyrics. He sings of the joy of being in America and also of its struggles, and he sings with real heart; the combination gives his songs a genuine depth and sincerity which I find extremely engaging. The arrangements are generally quite simple, but this and pitch-perfect production gives a really atmospheric feel to the whole thing. Although their voices are wholly different, I think the album’s feel reminds me a little of Springsteen’s Nebraska – which is very high praise indeed.

I would urge you to try Tales Of America. I was surprised by how good it is and can recommend it very warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment