Thursday 7 February 2019

Beach Boys - Surf's Up


Rating: 2/5

Review:
Not great

I know a lot of people think this is one of the Beach Boys’ classic albums, but I can’t agree. For me, it’s a mixed bag of a couple of very good tracks – including the title song, which may possibly be classed as a classic track – some mediocre stuff and a couple of utter clunkers.

I thought when it came out that it was a long way from the Beach Boys glory days of surf classics like Fun, Fun Fun, then pop masterpieces like God Only Knows, Good Vibrations and so on, but one’s judgement aged 17 isn’t always the most reliable. However, revisiting it now, almost 50 years later, I think the same. There’s a sense of a band struggling to recapture lost magic and not managing it most of the time. Surf’s Up is still a very fine song, but much of the material is thin and relies far too heavily on arrangement and production, so although there’s a generic Beach Boys sound a lot of the time, it’s largely forgettable. Student Demonstration Time, their lyrically clumsy reworking of Riot In Cell Block #9, is pretty feeble and shows that pounding rock has never been their forte, while Take A Load Off Your Feet and A Day In The Life Of A Tree are to me just embarrassing.

This isn’t an album to be completely written off, but it’s a long way from their best. Other than the title track, I can’t see this finding its way into my player again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment