Sunday 17 February 2019

Joe Egan - Out Of Nowhere


Rating: 3/5

Review:
Pleasant but forgettable

I’m afraid I don’t think this album has aged well. Joe Egan was a fine performer to whom Stealers Wheel owed a good deal of their well-deserved success, but this solo effort isn’t in the same league as either Stealers Wheel or Gerry Rafferty’s own solo work.

As an album, it sounds very pleasant, with a pretty generic harmonised soft-rock sound, very decent vocal and instrumental performances and good production. The problem is the material, which really doesn’t add up to much at all, so the whole thing washes over me in a nice wave of sound and then vanishes from my memory.

I’m sorry to be critical because Joe Egan’s has left a fine musical legacy, but for me Out Of Nowhere isn’t a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment