Sunday 15 October 2017

Chris Smither - Leave The Light On


Rating: 5/5

Review:
Brilliant



This is a brilliant album.  How have I not come across Chris Smither before?  He's been making superb records since the late 70s and I am deeply indebted to Mark Barry for introducing me to him a little while ago.  (Do check out Mark's excellent "guidebooks" to great recordings – I have found them a rich source of great recommendations.)

Chris Smither is a brilliant guitarist in a blues/alt-country-ish genre.  Echoes of people like Doc Watson, Leo Kottke and John Fahey are detectable in his style, but he has his own marvellous, smooth and apparently effortless way with the guitar which is just a joy to listen to.  Combine this with a great vocal delivery which is somewhere between JJ Cale and Leon Redbone and excellent, often witty songwriting and you have someone who should be far, far better known than he is.

Leave The Light On is a terrific album from 2006 with a fine variety of songs from the quiet and touching Father's Day, through things like the great blues playing and singing on Shilling For The Blues to the brilliantly witty Origin Of Species.  It's just an album of fine songs, brilliantly performed and which I keep going back to.  I strongly, strongly recommend giving this a try; I'll bet that, like me, you love it and then search out Smither's other work.  This is a rare, top-quality treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment