Sunday 8 October 2017

Blue Angel - Blue Angel


Rating: 4/5

Review:
Fine vocals from Cyndi Lauper



This is a pretty good album.  I missed it completely when it came out in 1980, but tried it now because I wanted to hear Cyndi Lauper's early work and I'm glad I did.

What lifts this above the ordinary is Lauper's vocals.  The band is decent but nothing special and the material is pretty generic stuff, with nothing to stand out.  However, Cyndi Lauper brings a touch of real class here, with her slightly quirky but very powerful and often quite soulful delivery.  Without her, this would be a very forgettable effort, I think, but the singing makes Blue Angel an album which I'll keep listening to.

So, not a classic, but a decent effort made into a good album by a genuinely star singer.  Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment